Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grandeur and Hilarity

I think I'm going to go a bit light on the site seeing today since it's pretty cold out today, about 4°C in comparison to the 16°+ we were getting in Cannes. However, today I had my placement test at the Sorbonne and I got placed in Intermediate, which is what I was going for, although I could have dealt with whatever situation.

Also today, our baggage arrived from Cannes. I forget if I mentioned it but we could only bring a carry-on on the TGV when we came to Paris. So no more mixing and matching two shirts and one pair of jeans for me haha. Also my mail cames, so I got the cable for my camera, so there'll be a few pictures to follow.

I only have a picture of my room at the moment, but I'll try to take a few of the apartment building and stuff so you can get a better idea of my living situation. I like my room a lot, although I could deal with a little bit more closet space. I can only really use one of the doors in the closet, so 4 shelves.


That picture doesn't really do it justice, but I like it, and the bed is comfortable.



I think I mentioned that right as you step out of my apartment you're greeted with an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower, so here's a quick look at that.

Sunday I went to see where the AIFS office was but on my way I checked out the Panthéon. It's gigantic as you can see below. I didn't go inside due to the entrance fee, but just seeing it from the outside is impressive





After a bit more meandering I took the metro all the way out to La Grande Arche de la Défense. It was one of the first monuments we visited last time I was here, but it too is amazing just because of its scale.


l'Arche from the escalator from the metro.


l'Arche


Underneath the Arche.


One of my personal favorites from that area, the gigantic thumb.


One last tidbit, this group of tweens-through-teens spent the entire time I was there (and probably a bunch of time before and after) raving to some house music...youth, haha.


When I got back to my neighborhood the sun was just setting, so here's one last view of the Eiffel Tower.


And to top it all off I have a video for you from my wanderings in the area near le Centre Pompidou. While its sad to see homeless people, the SDFs as they're called here (Sans Domicile Fixe), street performers are a much different breed. There isn't necessarily a way to tell if they really need the money or they do it purely for the fun and some extra cash, but you find plenty here. Plus, I don't know many homeless people with guitar amplifiers. So anyways here's a look at a disco-ing man I found Sunday. Hopefully, I'll have more eventually.

No comments: