Friday, January 25, 2008

Saint-Paul de Vence & le Fondation Maeght

Wednesday we had our second, and final, planned/included excursion for Cannes. I was really looking forward to it, but as it turned out it wasn't my favorite at all. The saving grace was le Fondation Maeght, a museum featuring Modern and Contemporary art.

The bus ride was kinda long feeling, and fairly boring but was made hilarious when Cao found two opened, potentially (although probably not) used, condoms when she folded down her tray table. Nonetheless, we arrived after our journey. The major draw of Saint-Paul is the old medieval city on a hill. Unfortunately, we've already been to Eze and then we checked out the Roman fortress at Ile Sainte Marguerite, so this was pretty boring.



Don't get my wrong, the place was awesome and picturesque, but you can only walk through so many, near identical, cobblestone streets before it gets old, and apparently that number isn't very many. One thing I really enjoyed there was an olive oil store. The little shop had an awesome array of olive oils, vinaigrettes, and tapenades. I got one garlic and basil tapenade to eat while I'm here, plus I got my parents a tomato vinaigrette and an olive spread. I hope they enjoy it.





Luckily, the Fondation Maeght made the trip worth while. There was a decent amount of art, scultures and paintings, by modern and contemporary artists like Marc Chagall, Alberto Giacometti, Joan Miró, and Valerio Adami who I really enjoyed. There was only one of his paintings on display "The Bedroom Scene" I believe it was called, but it was awesome I thought. He uses really thick deliberate lines and solid bold colors which really caught me. I also really liked Giacometti's sculptures. The Miró Labyrinth was kinda cool but very very weird.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from the musée because they charged you to take them. Papuna took probably 100+ so maybe I'll bum a few good ones from him soon and post them.


Also: I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who happens to read my stuff. It'd just nice to hear from everyone. I thought it was automatic that anyone could comment, but I just realized it wasn't the other day and changed that. You don't need a Blogger account or anything just put your name in if you would so I know who it is. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg and I read your blog every update.. we laughed so hard at your cute aquarium film.. i'm glad youre having funnn, your pictures are beautiful!!!...it's amanda

Anonymous said...

its so cool that you saw some of that art! i learned about a bunch of in last semester in art history. i was curious about "the bedroom scene" cuz i didnt remember what it looked like... just to let everyone know....

dont type it into google! you dont get art hahaha

<33

Anonymous said...

hey brian amy and i miss you and we think your pictures are amazing. It looks like your having such a good time! Were jealoussss cant wait to see youu!


only around 130 days till you come back to us! lol