Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Berlin, Germany

After Amsterdam Austin and I headed to Berlin, where I had a great time. It started off a bit rocky because we were tired and it took hours to find our hostel, which was in the middle of the woods, but by the next day things were going much more smoothly.


The hostel was pretty awesome. It was a bit outside of the city, but the staff (a guy and his wife) were really nice, and the place was comfortable and had free breakfast and a lounge to use the internet and watch TV or movies. Plus, 1€ beers from a vending machine.

We saw quite a few sites during our days in the city. I don't remember the exact order but, I think we started off in Alexander Platz and headed out from there. We saw the huge TV Tower (nearly impossible to miss), the Brandenburg Gates, the Reichstag, and several other sites in the area.





While stopping for a Bratwurst, actually I think it was Currywurst that time, we ran into a squirrel-like creature. It looked a lot like a squirrel, but with a different shade of brown fur and tufts of hair on its ears. I got to feed him a walnut and got him to come over to my hand a few times.






The third day we stumbled upon a soccer field and watched a game for a while. It was also right near the ruins of an old train station that was used to send Jews to Auscwitz during the Holocaust. Then we headed along the Spree River to see one of the famous bridges (I forget the name now) and a strange trip of huge holey men. On the way to seeing the men we came upon a Universal Music office and the Berlin offices of MTV and Nickelodeon. We also visited Check Point Charlie witch was one of the more famous crossings between East and West Berlin.




The last day of site seeing we visited the Gendarmenmarkt, named for the French Gendarmes. In the square are two cathedrals, one French and one German and an Opera. We also visited a memorial to the Berlin Wall and saw some of the pieces of it still standing. Finally we headed to Potsdamer Platz which had some really cool modern architecture.




In our adventures we also stumbled upon a lot of really impressive graffiti. I took some pictures, so I hope you like all of them too.





I had a ton of fun in Berlin. We had tons of wurst and lots of German beer. I would really like to go back to Berlin again in the future and also see more of Germany. I got to see a bit of Munich on my last day on the way back to Paris, but not as much as I would have liked. I'd definitely like to make it back for one of the beer festivals in the future also. Finally, I think German has officially made it onto my list of languages I would like to learn.

Hopefully I'll stay on top of updating about my trips. The next step in my adventure is Poland. I saw a bit of Warsaw at night and spent a day in Krakow, check back soon!

Auf weidersehen!

No comments: